Monday, November 23, 2009

The reading spot

My first semester at Baylor I had a free period before my Swahili class in Morrison Hall each morning. I would usually leave my homework to do during the hour before class. Morrison Hall was caddy corner to Vera Martin Daniel Plaza, more often referred to as “emo park”, that’s where the “artsy, musical, hippy”, etc etc…kind of people would sit under the trees for hours talking, playing guitars, smoking, reading….. I was not one of these people, but during my first semester, that little park became my park. In the beginning I was pretty successful at getting homework done there, but after awhile it became the place I would go to relax, I started and finished many books in that park, said quite a few prayers, and had run ins and reunions with many friends and teachers. I even skipped class a few times just to lie in the grass or to just sit and pretend like I was doing homework. I think that spot was kind of like a little home for me. No matter what time of the day it was, no matter what the weather,(unless it was raining) I could go out there and collect my thoughts, breathe, enjoy the fresh air, watch the squirrels play, wait for a friend to walk by, listen to the bells of Patt Neff play “that good ol’ Baylor line.” Lately I have had the urge to drive to Waco just to go back to my little reading spot, people might look at me a little funny if they knew I was driving three hours to read on a cement step under a tree in emo park, but it might be worth it.

This was just a short little post, I’ll write more soon…maybe about my job. I think my job usually consists of trying to get little kids to count little colored bears or learn their Spanish alphabet, when something really exciting and blog worthy comes to mind I’ll post it :-)

No comments: