Friday, September 19, 2008

Castles, Arthurs Seat and a Sitar

I've been in Edinburgh for almost a week now! It seems kind of like its been a lot longer than that. I've had a chance to learn my way around and meet people from all over the world. I finally got my cell phone to work, it took me three different trips to Princes street and the North Bridge, which is about a 45 minute walk from where I live, but now its working! Now I'll be able to get into contact with people that I meet, I really dont know what we did before the age of cellphones.


Yesterday when I went to get my cell phone all set up I went down the Royal Mile again, the very touristy street. I took my camera with me, cause there are some really pretty buildings and views of the city and then I heard a strange noise. I looked across the street and there was a man sitting on the ground playing the sitar. Then I looked back across the street and there was an old man wearing a kilt, playing the bagpipes.

I had my first little adventure yesterday. I decided to wake up early and go for a run. Most of the streets here are kind of busy, so I didnt know where I would go run, but right behind our residence area there is a big park and Arthurs seat. Arthurs seat is a big rocky hill that people climb, I'll put pictures up soon, I promise. I ran to the park and saw a sign that said Craigmiller Castle 2.5 miles. 2.5 miles seemed a little far for me, but I decided to go in search of the castle. I ran through the park, where everything is extremely green, I could see the hills and old houses off in the distance, past a pretty lake with ducks and swans. Then I came to what seemed like the industrial district. It seemed safe enough so I kept going. Now I felt more like I was in that movie about the boy who wants to do ballet( i think he was in ireland, hmm...). I was about to give up on my search, until I saw a hill and the top of what looked like it was a castle. I kept going and sure enough, up a grassy overgrown hill, there was Craigmiller castle, built in 1560 and abandoned a couple hundred years later.

I decided to try to go meet some people yesterday so I went to the international student centre to meet a group and go on a hike up arthurs seat. I'm glad that I went, but sad that I didn't take my camera. From the top of Arthurs Seat I could see pretty much the whole city and someone said when its clear you can even see St. Andrews off in the distance. I'm going to St. Andrew's tomorrow, and I'm excited about that.

I better go now, Im going to meet a couple people for lunch! Hopefully we'll get Indian food or maybe try scottish food, something exciting. All of this starting over and trying to make new friends is kind of strange to do again. Especially after two summers of being the person encouraging everyone else to do it, and then again, I'm only here for 3 months.

Classes start on monday, I still don't have everything figured out....I'll keep you posted :-) If I dont get into another class I dont think I'll graduate in August, which I will not be happy about!

I'll put up pictures soon I promise! :-)

9 comments:

Molly said...

Claire Bear,
This was such a great post! I'm glad you were safe running and that you DiD find the castle! And the movie, is it Bobby Elliot or Billy Elliot? And I could completely visualize it when you said that! It sounds so BEAUTiFUL! Pictures Soon? Love!

Adventures of Clairebear said...

Billy Elliot! thats it! im not sure if im supposed to comment on my own blog, haha. AND, i just went and had indian food with my new friends, hehe, yay!

Elizabeth said...

Clairebear! I love reading about your adventures. You're making me miss Scotland. We should travel back there together. I hope you enjoy St. Andrews. I can't wait to read your blog about it. I miss you!

Cole Casper said...

Hey Claire! I'm so happy to hear that things are going well! I know how you feel when you say it's hard to start over making friends! Just trust me, they will come! I can't wait to hear how things go!

-Cole

-Sic'EM Bears!

Richard said...

CLAIRE! That hike through the industrial district... definitely not Molly rated. haha Hi Molly! Maybe your comment wall can be like a chat room. Anyhow...Edinburgh sounds pretty awesome! Can't wait to talk to you again soon...but I just found out my phone costs 3.99 a minute to make calls!!!!! AGH

Adventures of Clairebear said...

Ahhh!!! ya, definitely not molly rated....Molly is usually a better judge of sketchy situations than I am.um...it costs me like 15 cents a minute to call russia! i'll call you!!haha yikes! you should get a different phone plan, youre dad might be mad about a huge phone bill. i can call anywhere in the world for under 80 cents(it cost 80 cents to call somalia).

Molly said...

YESSS friends and chatting on claire's blog...so kit kat. But, also, Richard (or should i refer to you by your alias "sic 'em voronezh"?)...i heard the rumor that you have a blog...maybe we can all chat on there too...maybe i'll read it...if it's molly rated/not too kit kat. Claire Bear, i LOVE that you added the pictures to this. the sitar player is my fave. And everyone should get skype, and we'll have a conference call. Love!
p.s. does "voronezh" mean bears? And if so has anyone found any bears on campus at their new universities? none at the seminary so far...will keep yall posted.

Richard said...

Voronezh is the name of the city where I study. And there are no bears here, I'll keep looking. :(
I can't skype either because the one location where they offered wireless got shut down. So it's back to the itnernet cafe, that doesn't have the proper technology for such things as skype. BUT I can check This. Poka

Molly said...

Maybe life will have a sudden upswing and you'll be able to skype, and maybe all the stars will align and we can all have a conference skype call. that would be SO christmas morning and not at all kit kat. Also, Claire Bear. I need you to post another blog. I feel like a creeper checking it all the time. I miss you SOOooooOOO much. (Did I put enough o's to give you an idea of how much I am missing you!?) LOVE!