Monday, September 21, 2009

Are you currently price protected?-Two days as a door to door saleswoman

I’m not sure if you ever look at the F my life website, but my very favorite posting was from a girl who said, “I’m about to graduate from a very prestigious university. In three days I start working at a hot dog stand.” That’s about how I was feeling on my first day working for Reliant Energy. But I knew I was not better than anyone else sitting in that training room, we were all in the same boat, trying to make a living, pay the bills, haha, all that stuff. The first person that I had contact with at Tecomax(when I got to the interview I realized it wasn’t actually working for Reliant, but for their marketing agency) seemed like a pretty genuine, intelligent, good guy, and he said I could likely move up very quickly, which sounded good to me and the job he was potentially offering sounded great.

Day one of training was pretty good. I listened to everything and took really good notes. The only thing that was bothering me at all was how much they kept talking about the money. I mean, that is what caught my attention, and the main reason I was still there. Then, on day two of training, the director guy of the office came in to give us a little pep talk and taught us how to be successful and the art of reading people. But what I got out of it was how to get people to think you agree with them when you really don’t and distract them into buying what you’re selling. Which, I do believe reliant really is a great deal, but I don’t exactly like the mind games.
I left training on day two excited for the next day. The whole time I had been praying about the job, cause the extreme emphasis on the money was starting to bother me quite a bit. When the people in charge were saying that the only reason they were doing their jobs was to make money I wasn’t ok with that. I do not want a job solely to make money. I want to have a job that makes a difference and helps people. But I was interested in what this whole door to door thing would be like, so I went for it.

The next day I went out and knocked on 50 doors and of course, what would happen? It started pouring down rain! I got completely soaked! Looked like I had jumped in a pool kind of soaked. And I didn’t get anyone to switch to Reliant, but it ended up being a pretty rough day for everyone so I didn’t feel very bad. And I thought to myself, how much worse can it get I just walked around in the rain and in the dark for hours. I woke up the next morning and saw it was supposed to rain for the next five days….Day two didn’t go too well, it rained again, and mostly I just didn’t really enjoy the people I was working for. But thank the Lord, seriously, after MUCH prayer, at the end of the day an extremely nice couple with a beautiful little baby and german shepherds switched without a fight! I was relieved and felt successful, but not successful enough. I went in the next morning for an energetic peppy breakfast with the team at Denny’s and then I quit! Oh what a wonderful feeling, and one of the wiser decisions I’ve made in my life.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I'm so proud...you went for the adventure, but knew when to leave it. Love.