Thursday, September 24, 2009

Overqualified or Under motivated

I woke up this morning to General Patton barking at something in the window, he’s my roommate’s puppy, maybe the cutest dog in the world, but also probably the yappiest. I crawled out of bed and thought to myself, I feel like my life is one of those chick flicks or inspirational feel good movies, “recent college graduate moves to big city in search of job, after some struggle, some bad luck, almost giving up, she finds great job at huge corporation, finds love, befriends old wise hermit neighbor, finds meaning in life, lives happily ever after.” ….except real life is not a chick flick or inspirational movie, and right now I’m kind of just stuck in the first thirty minutes of the movie and it keeps replaying over and over again.
Today is Monday, last Saturday I quit my job at Tecomax and on Sunday I went to training at Anthropologie. On Friday, my fifth day being an Anthro employee, I got hired at Pier 1 Imports. On Sunday I had an interview at DSW. As of this afternoon I have worked at seven different retail stores, being interviewed and asked all of the same questions and giving the same obvious answers is getting old. Do you think coming to work and being on time is important? Why do you want to work for us? What does customer service mean to you? Will you be able to get people to sign up for this program or that credit card or buy more of these products? Anyone with half a brain would correctly answer these questions…but then my problem is, I get the job and don’t WANT to do these things. I’m sorry, in the grand scheme of things I honestly don’t care if we make $33,000 today instead of $38,000. After working jobs that I actually did care about and felt passionate about, with friends I loved, retail just doesn’t cut it.
Being trained to greet customers, smile, and convince them to buy more is getting old. I can’t say, yeah, I’ve got this, this is my seventh retail job and I spent the past two summers working sixty hour weeks befriending hundreds of students and parents every day, oh and by the way I graduated from college. I’m thinking maybe overqualified means, you’re probably going to have a bad attitude and think you can run this store on your own. Yeah, I think I could do it, but I don’t want to!!! and I pray I don’t stick around long enough to find out.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

If I move to Miami, please move with me!! I don't mind being overqualified or under-motivated there.

Sarah Gail said...

You should read Donald Miller's new book- "A thousand Miles in a million years". A-mazing. And kind of about life, and how it's not a movie.

Molly said...

Claire Bear, You've got this! It's just a phase...that we're both in! And life's sparkles will soon return, I'm sure of it!!! Love!