Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Search Begins

On September 1st I moved in to an apartment in Dallas with Dana, one of my friends from Baylor, and I was so excited. When I got to the leasing office on Sept. 1st the lady at the office was like, oh...you wanted to move in today?? but after a couple hours of filling out paper work and signing a million papers she handed over our apartment keys and we were good to go.

In the midst of moving in to my apartment, I've been desperately trying to find a job. Up until about two months ago I was not planning on moving to Dallas, I was not even planning on staying in the country. I really wanted to go back to Africa or anywhere else in the world. But after much prayer and consideration I decided to stay in the area a little longer and try to go to nursing school. I've been interested in medicine my whole life, so why not go ahead and do it? I started with craigslist and applied for seven or eight jobs that I was definitely qualified for, but didnt hear a single word from anything...which brings me to the conclusion that craigslist must be fake. What comes after craigslist???? retail jobs at the mall....I have worked my fair share of retail jobs, some good, some not so good. But I have said many a time, I hope I never have to go back to retail again. I had an interview at Anthropologie, a trendy, really fun store at the mall, and still left the store thinking, gosh I dont want to work there.

Thursday afternoon my friend Elizabeth and I were of course, looking and applying for jobs online, which I am still convinced are all fake, when I decided to look through the sunday newspaper lying on the dining room table. I found one little tiny listing for Reliant Energy, no job description at all, but I called and went in for an interview the next morning. The one thing I kept thinking to myself was, please don't let it be door to door sales. Jose, who I had spoken to on the phone did not inform me that there were going to be fifteen other people there at the same time, all to be interviewed. After sitting through the whole orientation shpeal and figuring out that yes, this was basically door to door sales, it was time for the one on one interview. the orientation shpeal did bring up the money side of the job which did sound quite good. After talking to jeremy, the recruiter I decided, why not, this will be yet another adventure. Now I can add door to door saleswoman to my long list of random jobs. Who know's maybe I'll love it, hopefully I'll be good at it, but if not, I'll know by friday.

No comments: